23.10.04

some people want it all,


MY PROOF!! take that. lol. kay, i know, it is in pratically perfect english. lol. i even capitalise letters and ran spellcheck! XD okay, just read."Perhaps I should introduce myself. I am that girl who asked you the question 'You said that the American school system benefits the individual but most Americans cannot read nor do Maths when they grow up. So how does that benefit the individual when one can't read or do Maths when they grow up?' during the debate finals on Friday. You retorted back by saying (if I'm not wrong), 'Show me the proof.' Well, here I am to do just that.

Okay, I know, the debate is over. But, I don't like the fact that you practically accused me in front of my face for making false statements. I don’t make statements or ask questions unless I am sure.

But, that's beside the point. My point, or motive, here is to give you the proof. And here it is:

From: http://capmag.com/article.asp?ID=3631

'Year after year, children pass through it from kindergarten to twelfth grade, too frequently emerging into the world functionally illiterate'

Do I need to further elaborate on that with statistics? Okay.

'A 2002 National Assessment of Educational Progress report noted that reading achievement of twelfth grade student had declined over the previous five years, with 33 percent of senior boys and 20 percent of senior girls reading below the basic level.'

'More than 42 million adult Americans are thought to be functionally illiterate.'

Now, I have no idea what on earth 12th grade is, despite reading American high school stories (e.g. SVH) for years. But, if I would to make a wild guess, I would guess that the 12th grade is equivalent to the JC2 in Singapore.

And, granted, 42 million is probably a small fraction of the Americans (I have no idea what is America's population). But, if you can infer from the last paragraph shown before that, it's going to grow.

But, this is the irony. The American school system is actually thought to benefit the state more than the individual. So, honestly, why on earth did you use the American school system to emphasize your point?

'And with their little heads crammed full of leftist and environmental nonsense of no value to anyone but the puppet masters who have crafted programs designed to make them docile, easily manipulated little 'citizens of the world.''

I am pretty sure that the 'puppet masters' here refers to the people who craft the education system, right?

Anyway, we've just finished the 'reading proof.' Now, here’s the 'Maths proof.'

From: http://capmag.com/article.asp?ID=3284

'Professional mathematicians are alarmed over declining U.S. math scores and point out that students in European and Asian countries -- where they still teach basic math content -- tend to score significantly higher than Americans on standardized tests. One recent test in mathematics literacy showed American high school seniors ranking 18th out of 21 nations.'

'The frightening inability of today's students to do simple math…'

Need I say anymore?

Don't get me wrong, I ain't doing this because I'm feeling sore that my class lost to yours. I am doing this because, as I've said, I cannot take it lying down that you practically accused me in front of my face for making false statements. And again, I don’t make statements or ask questions unless I am sure.

Uh-huh. So, this is it. My proof. Now, when are you going to show me yours (I did retort back by saying, 'You tell me to show you the proof that Americans cannot read nor do Maths when they grow up. Then you show me the proof that Americans can read or do Maths when they grow up lah!')?

I'll be waiting for your proof which you can e-mail over at obmub@yahoo.com.sg. I am serious. XD"see, i even give them my junk mail e-mail. how nice can i get? lol. btw, do you know the origin of obmub? you don't? well, i still want to tell you. lol.

remember the neopets fever a few years ago? well, i was part of it. tired of thinking of nicknames that have been untouched, i asked my brother for a suggestion. he promptly suggested, "dumbo, spelled backwards." and so i did just that.

however, i dont know why, but instead of typing 'obmud', i typed in 'obmub' instead. and since i thought it was cute, i stuck with it. uh-huh. so dont come asking me, "what on earth is obmub?" kay? (one guy did in the past.) XD

oh, and i cut my hair. -grins. addedum: all the funny funny looking letters? they all supposed to be ' or ". dont know why they turned out like that. stupid blogger. =x


but i don't want nothing at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home